Friday, Sep 24, 2021
12:20 PM - 1:20 PM (UTC)
Representatives from the UN, UNICEF, Malala Fund and others join Afghan women activists to discuss girls’ education at #UNGA76.
In the margins of #UNGA76, this panel will centre the voices, knowledge and experience of Afghan educators and advocates in addressing what steps the international community must take in support of a future for Afghan girls’ education. It aims to focus attention on girls’ education as an urgent priority in the global humanitarian response, and provide practical solutions to effectively support girls’ ongoing education.
• Amina Mohammed - UN Deputy Secretary-General
• Henrietta Fore - Executive Director, UNICEF
• Malala Yousafzai - Co-founder, Malala Fund, and UN Messenger of Peace
• Shaharzad Akbar - Chairperson, Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission
• Fawzia Koofi - First Woman Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Afghanistan
• Nayla Fahed - Co-founder and CEO, Lebanese Alternative Learning
• Zarqa Yaftali - Executive Director, Women and Children Legal Research Foundation